
Dear Solana,
I have to genuinely say by the age of 20 I never thought I would have a tattoo. Here I am, almost twenty and have had my tattoo for about a month now. So before I start explaining why I am writing this letter let me set out some "ground rules". This isnt a letter that's asking people to debate whether or not tattoos are "spiritually okie dokie". I am a little past that debate...for some obvious reasons. Secondly, You are more than welcome to leave you're opinion on the matter, just know I may chose not to answer. And lastly, yes I do know it is there for life. Thank you.
The reason why I am writing this letter is to explain my thought process behind it all. 1. It did hecka hurt. Ironically the cross is actually what hurt the most. Does anyone else find it kind of funny that the "Together for the Gospel" logo is tattooed on my ankle? Makes me smile. 2. I did some research and found out that my names origin is in greek. Who would of thought. So tattooed around my ankle is the phrase "Corrine is redeemed through Jesus Christ".
I wanted to get something that reflected who I am. What makes the very essence of who I am today. I chose the word "redeemed" because of the power behind it. Redeemed literally means "to be bought". It makes me think of the lyrics to that one song..."Im bought with a price that is not my own/Im seated in the heavenlies". To think that I was bought really gets down to the core of the whole matter, and the fact that my Savior is whom bought me is pretty freaking awesome as well.
For the longest time I wrestled with getting a cross tattooed on me. It seemed like the proper mexican thing to do after all. I felt like a cross was extremely cliche. As if to say...Yep Im a Christian and Im gonna get the cross. Then I realized how much power there was behind the cross. If I was going to have words tattooed on me saying I was redeemed than it only makes sense to have the symbol of redemption on me. Duh! Although, it came out a tidge bit bigger than I planned, (and I love it), I realize how much it draws people to the eye. The cross is unlike anything I have seen before and it shows a meaning of unity through what is most important...The Gospel.
Essentially, thats what Im trying to get at. Whats the most important. The Gospel. Thats what its all about, and why not have something on me that reflects that very message...yeah...the Gospel. And why not have on me the very important thing that defines who I am. Yep, The Gospel. So, the next time you do not see me in jeans (good luck, cuz I wear them all the time) take a gander. I love that people ask me what it means in greek. It opens this new door for conversation. And I love it. It was purposeful. And exciting.
Love Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment