Thursday, May 20, 2010

Where the Tree meets the Ornament

Dear Solana,

Ive never had a problem with "getting into the spirit of Christmas". It must be one of those things that actually runs through my blood because my mom is the same way. Now the question you are probably asking is why am I talking about Christmas in May? Cuz Christmas is just that amazing. I could listen to Christmas music off and on all year round, and when July hits, its on for the whole month.

Christmas without of the doubt is my favorite holiday. Whats not to love about it? Lets set aside the fact that the reason why I love Christmas the most is the fact that I celebrate my Savior being born and look at some other reasons first.

1. The music: All of it! I dont think there is one Christmas song that I dont like! I love the classics, the newbies and the good ole hymns that we sing in church, and even the orchestra ones (yeah...there is orchestra ones).

2. The lights: My favorite thing to do at Christmas is just look at the lights. I tend to be drawn to those streets in Valencia that put on the most amazing light shows that I am sure just about sends the electricity bill right into outer space...but it is fun to drive through and stare. My eyes cant take it all in. I remember when my dad had a paper route I went with him on Christmas morning, and everyone left their lights on. It was fun to toss papers to those houses...despite the fact that when i threw one bag the whole paper went flying all over the driveway...worst part about that situation. The homeowners were looking outside their window. Yeah, I know...Im embarrassing. Thanks for the reminder.

3. The trees: My mom can decorate the best Christmas tree in the world. Yes...it is EXTREMELY particular, but amazing at the same time. My grandmother has the best tree in the world because it spins...oh, and its flocked. AND you can see it driving up my street. Even better! oh and my aunt and uncles is probably the prettiest themed colors. I love traditional trees. The best thing about living with as many people as I do is having a variety of Christmas trees...and yeah I have a sleeping beauty one and a beach themed one. They are just that awesome.

4. Charlie Brown: Its like this tradition that my mom keeps up with. The holidays beckon Charlie Brown. As each holiday draws near (sometimes before depending on our moods) my mom will put in a Charlie Brown movie as she decorates her room. As she decorates the house, the music goes on. When July draws near my mom gets super excited for the fall and winter so usually she will pop in a Charlie Brown movie and have a marathon. Its something I look forward to and yes, I can quote a Charlie Brown Christmas by heart...I am that ridiculous.

5. Starbucks: One Starbucks Christmas did me in. Its the most hectic time of the year but for the most part I have nothing to complain about. I enjoyed working the holidays. I became known as the girl with the goofy hat. No joke. I wore a goofy Christmas hat to work almost every day, and my head got VERY hot. Thanks Caleb for letting me borrow it. Oh and Mom gets a Christmas ornament every year to go on her...wait for it....Starbucks Christmas tree. No joke.

So, with all that in mind I get super excited for Christmas. The music is the best part. My friend Sarah and I decided that we could paint to it any time and be completely satisfied. How can you not smile at the thought of it? Seriously.

I guess what really put me in the mood for this letter was the fact that Im working on Christmas drawing next. It pretty much helped me get inspired.
Love Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment