Friday, August 29, 2014
Just Do It- Writing Tip
So I looked at my calendar today and saw that I needed to post a blog on writing. This blog is mostly to inform a couple groups of people about different types of non-profit organizations, people who need writing tips, and to update my personal friends and family on my health.
Today I was working on coming up with a writing tip. I had a few outlined that I wanted to cover but none of them were really holding my attention. So I decided to jump on my freelance website and apply for a few writing jobs only to discover that I have lost not one but four jobs that specialize in the field of sports writing and was replaced by males.
Not going to lie, first reaction was to put my head down on the table and knock it a couple times to make sure I saw that correctly. Next. Vent on Facebook. Ok, done. Then I decided to write a blog on it. If you are a person who advocates female rights, this blog isn't for you. If you are a male that advocates the equality/necessity for woman to be out of the work force, this blog is not for you. This blog is for people who have a really hard time pursuing work because "they probably won't get it" or "nothing will happen".
Freelance writing tends to be very different than "Creative Writing". You are generally hired by someone else for your skill of writing to come up with articles, edit books, and weigh in on projects. You as a writer adopt the voice of the company that hired you and complete the job to suite what they are thinking. There are very few sports writing jobs on freelance websites, but when they come up, I generally jump right on them. Yeah, I totally know that I most likely won't get them. But there is a part of me that really holds out that someone will give me the opportunity to prove myself.
So the tip: Just go for it. You are probably reading this and going "This is dumb. I know this." But trust me. I know when you actually get around to doing whatever you claim you are going to do, you freeze. You start to question your motives and abilities. It doesn't have to be just writing. It could be the mere fact that you were approached and asked to take your hobby and turn it into something to entertain. Or surviving your season in sports, and even school.
This is the first step in doing anything. You have to be more than willing. There are plenty of people in the world who are willing to do anything. It's when you actually try and do it, that is when a difference can be made.
So, sorry if you were looking for me to rag on the male population. Just ain't gonna happen. Just gonna keep trying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment